Located in rural Minnehaha County, the East Nidaros Lutheran Church is south of the town of Baltic, across the road from the 1883 Nidaros Ostre Gravplads (East Nidaros Cemetery). Norwegian Lutheran settlers established the congregation in 1868 and named it after their native city of Trondheim, originally known as Nidaros. As the congregation grew, it split into the Baltic and East Nidaros Lutheran churches (by the 1950s, it had split into four groups).
The east congregation built this Gothic Revival church of rusticated Sioux quartzite with limestone trim. Centered on the south elevation is a projecting bell tower that contains the main entrance, accessed via a short flight of stairs. The stained glass window in the entryway reads “Ostre Nidaros Kirke,” Norwegian for East Nidaros Church. Stained glass can be found throughout the church in pointed-arch openings. In 2000, a large fellowship hall, designed in a compatible style and using similar materials, was built on the east end of the church.
The church has been in continuous use since its construction.
Kolbe, Robert. Minnehaha County Historical and Biographical Sketches. Sioux Falls, SD: Minnehaha County Historical Society, 1988.