Once noted for being home to some of the city's wealthiest citizens, Judge's Hill rises above Shoal Creek just west of the University of Texas campus and state office buildings. West Avenue is the spine of the neighborhood and contains examples of residential architecture from the middle of the nineteenth century. The Queen Anne Daniel Caswell House, the best known of the houses here, is constructed of limestone. A round tower with a steep conical roof allows the house to front both 14th Street and West Avenue from its corner site. The heavy stone columns support the two-story, wraparound porch.
At 1504 West Avenue, the masonry W. T. Caswell House has a double gallery supported by Composite columns. Nearby at 1308 and 1400 West Avenue are other examples of popular early-twentieth-century revival styles. On the north side of 15th Street are some excellent examples of early-twentieth-century residences, including the Classical Revival house at the corner of 17th and Pearl streets and the Prairie-influenced house at 1606 Pearl. Also of interest are houses at 712 16th Street, 1800 and 1802 San Gabriel Street, and the modern house at 1604 Pearl Street.