Organized in 1876, the congregation built a wood-frame church on this site in 1878. A new brick sanctuary was built after the merging of the First Presbyterian with the Cumberland Presbyterian church c. 1910. The single-story Classical Revival church is cubic in shape on a raised basement, allowing for a monumental flight of steps up to the arcaded entrance loggia. Tall arched windows on the flanks denote the single, large interior space of the sanctuary. Offices and classrooms are in the basement.
Contrasting with First Presbyterian's classicism is the English Gothic–styled United Christian Church (c. 1925; 603 Talbot Street) with a crenellated corner tower. Nearby at 117 E. 6th Street, the Womack House (c. 1915) has a two-story Ionic portico and pyramidal roof.