This Italianate courthouse is similar to the same firm's Throckmorton County courthouse in Throckmorton, Texas, built two years earlier. The tower, removed in 1942, was a duplicate of the Goliad County Courthouse tower ( GB1), designed by Henri E. M. Guidon and built by Martin, Byrnes and Johnston, who were known for reusing designs created for other projects.
The courthouse is constructed of large blocks of rock-faced limestone. The smooth-faced window lintels of the original central section are decorated with incised Eastlake floral carvings, a most unusual touch for a building in Texas. Although it lost its original central tower and was enlarged with two flanking wings in 1942, the courthouse is still an imposing edifice, thanks to the fact that the builders of the additions chose to nearly duplicate the detailing of the original design.