What appears at first glance to be a straightforward, two-story, front-gabled, side-passage, wooden house turns out to have a complicated history. It began as a one-story wooden business house built in 1867 by Virginia-born merchant George W. McClanahan on S. St. Mary's Street facing the public square. About 1900 it became the residence of Dr. D. M. Turner, which may be when the first story was inserted beneath the apparently older second story and the double-level veranda added. In 1962 the building was slated for demolition. Beeville preservationists succeeded in getting it moved to its present site on county-owned property, where the house was rehabilitated.
At 500 E. Corpus Christi Street is a grand Colonial Revival house. Farther east at number 800 is the one-story, flat-roofed, streamlined modernistic house of Alma and Henry W. Hall. Stepping back from the street in a series of offset bays, the sprawling stucco-faced house features an entrance door set in a curved panel of glass block beneath a curved canopy. In addition to the Rialto Theater ( GB21), the Hall interests included Hall's downtown clothing store.