St. Joseph's Church, now a historic church museum maintained by the Galveston Historical Foundation, was built by German-speaking Galveston Catholics. It exemplifies the Southern vernacular church type: a gable-fronted, rectangular-planned building, three bays wide and four bays long, capped by a centered front steeple. When Clayton reconstructed St. Joseph's following its destruction in the Storm of 1900, he replicated its original typological components, but added a fifth bay to the back of the church and elongated the tower and steeple.
As one moves south from Broadway toward the beach, house sizes diminish. The 2200 through 1300 blocks of Avenues K and L contain a profusion of late-nineteenth-century raised cottages, interspersed with corner stores and institutional buildings.