The white-painted facility adds a new dimension to the Border Brick style. Its rectangular plan is encircled by a shed-roofed, wraparound porch supported by stout, square brick piers with prominent bases and capitals. Architecturally, the center of attention is at the four corners of the hipped roof, which is accentuated by four, wide-based, six-foot-tall finials in the shape of tapered, segmented cones. The original two-room school, and later teacher's hostel, now serves as a community center.
To the north, the still-active Hidalgo City Cemetery (1874), at 3rd Street and Tejano Drive, includes numerous aboveground vaults in molded brick.