This isolated building captures the eye as a colorful design that originally served as a bank and post office. Built in the same year as Leffland's Ragland building in Kingsville ( KA4), the Hoffman composition appears taller by its narrow width, and livelier by its copious use of limestone in contrast to its red brick. Of special note is the three-bay window at its center with a highly embellished pediment supported by polished granite columns.
South of the Hoffman Block, across San Diego Creek, the land rises and affords a scenic view of the town, with its historic buildings and church towers evoking its appearance at the dawn of the twentieth century. The sillar-built José María García Flores House of 1852 at S. Reforma and E. Alice streets is the oldest building in San Diego.