This house is the earliest and most prominent construction in the 1916 Oblate Park Addition (bounded by Doherty and Keralum avenues and W. 10th and W. 13th streets), a residential neighborhood for successful citrus growers. Built for Wood, a former Mission mayor, the large Craftsman bungalow on three lots features an expansive porch with battered piers, and a well-integrated second-floor addition in Spanish Mediterranean. While single-family dwellings prevail in the neighborhood, rental units indicate the importance of housing winter visitors in the Rio Grande Valley. Las Palmas Apartments (1928), at the southeast corner of E. 14th Street and Miller Avenue, is a stuccoed, two-story Mission Revival U-shaped complex that shields an interior courtyard.
The contiguous Blake Addition, continuing north to 16th Street, developed in the 1930s and was fully occupied by 1949. Architecturally extending beyond the bungalow, this addition emphasized revival styles for a more formal appearance, as seen in a cluster of small-scale c. 1935 Tudor Revival houses in the 1300 block of St. Marie Avenue.