The residential part of this complex bears the imprint of master mason Heinrich Portscheller, with its brick cornice, raised pilasters, and entablature accentuated by the dual-color paint scheme. The simpler, store portion of the complex joins the residence into an L-shaped configuration that forms a typical courtyard property. Rehabilitated as a branch of the World Birding Center ( SM38), the plastered interior walls of the store exhibit exceptional remnants of hand-stenciled, polychrome decorative patterns conserved during restoration.
Together with this complex, two other buildings define the eastern edge of the plaza. To the north, the two-story Apolonio Palacios House (c. 1856), at 206 Convent Avenue, was rehabilitated in 1997 to its original exterior colors: plastered peach walls with a blue cornice. To the south, next to the river cliffs, the José María García Sáenz House (c. 1852, rehabilitated 2009), at 102 Convent Avenue, was built by the grandson of the original owner of the Rancho de Buena Vista. Its exterior plasterwork reflects the patterning techniques of northern Mexico with smooth bands delineating the openings, while the heavy textured panels in between are highlighted in a contrasting color.