You are here

Science Museum of Virginia

-A A +A
Broad Street Station
1913–1919, John Russell Pope; Warren Manning, landscape architect; U. Ricci, sculptor. 1954, dome renovation, Carneal and Johnston. 1976, Science Museum adaptation, Perry Dean Rogers; landscaping, James DiPasquale, Barry Starke. 1997–present, renovation, W. Kent Cooper. Broad St. at Robins St.
  • Science Museum of Virginia (Broad Street Station)

John Russell Pope's only railroad station has been a major landmark on West Broad Street since its construction. The structure was built on what was the western edge of the city to replace the outmoded facilities of the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac and Atlantic Coastline railroads. Conspicuously absent from Pope's competition-winning 1913 design is the dome on the completed building. Construction on the project was delayed until 1917 because of opposition from downtown interests. When the project went ahead, the railroads requested a dome to distinguish the structure from recently completed facilities in other cities. Sited on a large artificial mound that screens the tracks, the station provides a grand processional approach from Broad Street. On the front, which is clad in Indiana limestone, is a portico modeled on the Doric order of St. Peter's Square in Rome. In the attic story is a large clock, flanked by the sculptural figures Progress and Industry. The dome rises on a polygonal drum pierced by lunettes modeled on those of the rotunda of Low Memorial Library at Columbia University. Originally covered with terra-cotta tiles, the present copper dome was completed in 1955. Flanking the central section behind simple piers were spaces for a variety of secondary functions, including the former “Negro Waiting Room” in the east wing. A loop of tracks brought all of the trains into the station from the same direction. Arriving passengers came up stairways on the west side of the building; departing passengers went down stairways on the east side. The cast iron train sheds can be seen on the exterior of the building.

The station closed in 1969, and the building was adapted for use by the Science Museum of Virginia in a sympathetic renovation that preserves its character. The domed portion of the building, which originally contained the ticket counters and main waiting room, now serves as the reception space of the museum. Beyond is the concourse, now the main exhibit area.

Writing Credits

Author: 
Richard Guy Wilson et al.
×

Data

What's Nearby

Citation

Richard Guy Wilson et al., "Science Museum of Virginia", [Richmond, Virginia], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—, http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/VA-01-RI304.

Print Source

Buildings of Virginia: Tidewater and Piedmont, Richard Guy Wilson and contributors. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002, 261-261.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.

, ,