An African American community that had its start in the late nineteenth century, the Capitol View–Antioch area is a compact cluster of houses arranged around Henrico County's Virginia 5 corridor. In 1892, the Capitol View subdivision was laid out in lots along the west side of Virginia 5. Numbered avenues were arranged on a north-south axis, and presentday Herman Street ran east-west between New Market Road and Osborne Turnpike. Apparently Capitol View was an overly ambitious plan for the period, as the subdivision grid never filled out.
The oldest part of Capitol View is the Antioch Baptist Church area along Virginia 5. It includes the buildings that face the road on both sides from Herman to Loudoun Street. These include shotgun-plan, bungalow, and cottage dwellings; a former store; and a school. The buildings range in date from the 1890s through the 1960s. The Antioch Baptist Church (c. 1890, c. 1940) began as a wooden frame building. The present brick facade is a veneer over the original wooden structure. Stylistically, it is a combination of pointed windows and the earlier Greek Revival box of the Baptist church. To the rear of Antioch Church, not visible from the road, is the Chatsworth School, now vacant. This is one of a few surviving early twentieth-century school buildings in Henrico County.