You are here

Brandon Plantation

-A A +A
c. 1765. Brandon Rd. (VA 611). Privately owned, open in April during Historic Garden Week and at other times by appointment
  • Brandon Plantation
  • Brandon Plantation
  • Brandon Plantation
  • Brandon Plantation
  • Brandon Plantation

One of the best known of Virginia houses, Brandon reflects the impact of Palladio. The property on which Brandon stands was patented in 1616 and subsequently farmed. It passed into the Harrison family in 1720, but a house was not constructed until c. 1765, when Nathaniel Harrison II built Brandon as a wedding present for his son, Benjamin. Robert Morris's Select Architecture (1755) probably inspired the plan and the facades. Since Thomas Jefferson, a close friend to Harrison, owned a copy of Morris's book, Brandon has often been attributed to Jefferson. Jefferson's involvement is doubtful since he would have been only twenty-two years old and his ownership of Morris's work cannot be confirmed as earlier than 1770.

Brandon is a seven-part structure: a two-story central section with a pyramidal roof flanked by one-story wings with half-hipped roofs and twostory terminal wings with hipped roofs, set perpendicular to the house and attached by low, one-story hyphens. The terminal wings, originally one and one-half stories, were the first structures built, apparently intended to be incorporated into a larger house. The exterior of the house is a uniform brick, simply detailed, with a scrolled and carved modillion cornice along the eaves of the central section and uncarved modillions on the wings. A carved pineapple finial sits at the apex of the roof of the center section. The east wing originally served as a kitchen, which has since been moved to the basement. The west wing contains four paneled rooms similar to those found in the center section of the house. The center hall of the west wing is detailed with a full Doric entablature and an elaborate Chinese trellis stair rail.

The house has undergone several alterations since its construction, including the replacement of all windows, the replacement of onestory pedimented porticos on the center section by one-story Corinthian porticoes with balconies, the addition of bathrooms, and some interior trim alterations. The interior paneling had to be replaced after the Civil War because of damage inflicted by occupying troops. Brandon also boasts large gardens, both formal and informal.

Writing Credits

Author: 
Richard Guy Wilson et al.
×

Data

What's Nearby

Citation

Richard Guy Wilson et al., "Brandon Plantation", [, Virginia], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—, http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/VA-01-ST23.

Print Source

Buildings of Virginia: Tidewater and Piedmont, Richard Guy Wilson and contributors. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002, 476-477.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.

, ,