Chuckatuck is a good example of a southern Tidewater village on a deepwater river (Chuckatuck Creek) which provided transportation for the agricultural economy of the surrounding area. A crossroads settlement was formed here by 1672. It escaped destruction during the Revolution and the Civil War. Farming remains its primary support.
One of the town's most prominent architectural landmarks is the Godwin-Knight House (
ST9.1) (1856, 1900; 140 King's Highway), originally constructed as a two-and-one-halfstory dwelling with a side-hall plan. It underwent a significant remodeling in 1900, when Queen Anne features—a wraparound porch, a
A group of bungalows (c. 1915–1930; 153, 256, 260, 264, and 282 King's Highway) were constructed for workers of the Lone Star Cement Company, which located near here; they demonstrate a range of “bungaloid” variations in siting and porches.
A village needs a general store, and the Lafayette Gwaltney Store ( ST9.2) (c. 1840, c. 1890; 5996 Godwin Boulevard, corner of King's Highway), located prominently at the crossroads, is the only survivor of the three that provided supplies for local farmers and town residents. It was originally built as a residence, but George Britten converted the downstairs into a store c. 1890 by installing large storefront windows and a shed-roofed porch supported by square posts with scalloped trim.