Rough Creek, a small crossroads hamlet, is surrounded by woods and fields and contains a cluster of early-nineteenth-century buildings. The church is a typical Protestant meetinghouse with paired front doors, windows lighting the balcony, and a steep pedimented front gable. The frame church, which has been covered with vinyl siding in recent years, occupies the site of an Anglican chapel built in 1765–1769.
The village includes two stone structures that are an anomaly in an area where brick and frame construction predominate. Both are fittingly named. The shed-roofed Rock Store (201 Rough Creek) and Rock House (c. 1820) at number 324 are built of random-sized rubble. Stone exterior-end chimneys frame the house's two-and-a-half-story, three-bay facade. The Armistead House (3155 Red House), the community's largest frame dwelling, is an L-shaped building dating from 1830 that may consist of three early houses joined together. The fancy Colonial Revival doorway on the gable-end elevation facing the road attempts to disguise the original, side-hall arrangement.