Two very different schools face each other across Lee Avenue at 8th Street. The high school was closed in 1966 when the Kenbridge and Victoria high schools were combined into one racially integrated Central Senior High School. The building has since been refurbished as a multipurpose building by the Victoria High School Preservation Foundation, a charitable group. A good representative of its era's scholastic architecture, the former school is a one-story red brick building and has a basement-level gymnasium/auditorium. Entrance is through a pedimented portico with paired Doric columns that was added in a 1928 remodeling.
The Victoria Elementary School is one of Southside's modern public structures and a particularly bold one. The school is L-shaped in red brick and pink stucco, and crowned with a light-green metal roof. Its recessed central section, at the angle of the ell and facing the street corner, is a semicircle of glass brick with stylized columns and piers of pink aggregate, embraced by red brick classroom blocks.