This trio of handsome dwellings forms an unusually sophisticated grouping for their rural setting. The Governor William Mann House (1870; 139 Mann) was built for Mann during his long tenure as judge of the Nottoway court preceding his term as governor of Virginia. His Italianate residence combines an elaborate two-story L-shaped frame house with a three-story tower. Single, double, and triple windows are set in a variety of rectangular, round-arched, and segmental-arched openings. Although diminished by the removal of balconies above the porch, bay window, and south side, the soaring house still manages to represent the aspirations of a future governor.
The two-story wooden Cummins House (c. 1850; 159 Mann) is more modest, embellished with decorative sawnwork and an entrance bay with an arched, pierced, and eared pediment on the roofline. The Dillemuth House (1880; 219 Mann) is a two-and-a-half-story frame building with the squared massing of Greek Revival but finished with Second Empire detailing, including a mansard roof with segmental-arched window heads, bracketed cornice, bay window, and a one-story bracketed porch.