Founded in 1838 on land owned by Jacob Bowers, who operated a mill here, Forestville flourished as a small commercial center in the nineteenth century. The mill, probably built for Zirkle, is a frame building on a banked stone foundation and has an overshot metal waterwheel. Its catslide (where one slope of the gable is longer than the other) metal roof is an unusual feature for mills in the area. The mill was refitted as a roller mill in the late nineteenth century and continued in operation until the 1950s.
Opposite the mill is the two-story, frame Forestville School (1918; 51 Quicksburg). It is one of the best-preserved rural schoolhouses in the county with banks of large sash windows, a small entrance porch, and a hipped-roof belfry. St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church (1873; 3305 Senedo Road) is gable-roofed with bracketed eaves and has a large open wooden belfry.