Around 1850, James P. Bellows took over his father's two-hundred-acre farm on the north bank of the Lamoille River and built this stylish brick Greek Revival farmhouse. It is a fine example of the sophisticated masonry of the lower Lamoille River Valley, with raised corner pilasters, eaves entablatures, and peaked cast-iron lintels over the windows and main entrance. The gable-front, two-and-a-half-story, side-hall house has twin, single-story side ells, creating the formal pavilion-with-ells arrangement popularized by Minard Lafever in his The Beauties of Modern Architecture (1835).
Bellows soon made the conversion from sheep raising to dairying, keeping twenty dairy cows in the c. 1870 eaves-entrance bank barn behind the house. His son James Bellows modernized the dairy operation in 1908, when he hired local builder Amson Brown to build a substantial 50 × 100–foot, gable-end-entrance bank barn. It has twin hipped ventilator cupolas and an attached horse barn ell, also with a matching cupola.