You are here

Norway Building, “Little Norway”

-A A +A
1893, Waldemar Hansteen. 3576 County Rd. JG, approximately 3 miles northeast of Blue Mounds
  • (Photograph by Jeff Dean, courtesy of the Wisconsin Historical Society)
  • (Carol M. Highsmith Archive, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division)

This spectacular structure dazzled visitors at the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago, where it was the official exhibit building for Norway. The design is based on a twelfth-century Norwegian wooden church, or stavkirke, at Gol, which Hansteen had helped restore. For the Norway Building, Hansteen strayed from historical accuracy by adding windows, which are not found in true stave churches. He also incorporated elements of an architectural aesthetic that was popular in Norway in his own time, the “Dragon style,” named for the wooden dragons atop the peaks of the gables, breathing flame to ward off evil spirits. As that description suggests, the Dragon style combined Christian and pagan elements, the latter derived from Viking ships, burial sites, and folk art.

The building’s frame consists of a grid of crossed, hand-hewn logs with vertical wooden staves tying the logs to the rafters. The multilayered roof is steeply pitched with flared eaves and has a gabled dormer and a gabled cupola. Spindle columns, scalloped bargeboards, and diamond patterns ornament the gable ends. Elaborately carved wooden window surrounds, zoomorphic wooden sculptures around the gabled entrance, and ornate ridge crestings enhance the Nordic appearance. The fire-breathing dragons atop the ridge crestings are 1992 reproductions. Inside, the carved faces of kings and queens from Norse sagas peer down from the wooden beams.

M. Thams and Company, a manufacturer of prefabricated housing in Trondheim, Norway, constructed the building in Norway and shipped it in panels for assembly in Chicago. It is one of a few surviving structures from the Columbian Exposition. After the fair, it was disassembled and moved to a Lake Geneva estate. Chewing gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. later purchased the estate and used this building to screen home movies. His son Philip donated the building to the founder of Little Norway, Isak Dahle, in 1935. It now serves as a folk art museum.

Writing Credits

Marsha Weisiger et al.


What's Nearby


Marsha Weisiger et al., "Norway Building, “Little Norway”", [Blue Mounds, Wisconsin], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—,

Print Source

Buildings of Wisconsin

Buildings of Wisconsin, Marsha Weisiger and contributors. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2017, 429-430.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.

, ,