Newton Road is a private street reached via Walnut and Chestnut streets, off Bridge Road, or directly from Loudon Heights Road.
“Stockbroker's Tudor” may be a flippant architectural expression, but it captures the image of the James R. Thomas House (1919–1921, Dennison and Hirons), known as The Maples, at 920 Newton. Stucco and half-timbering, abetted by projecting gables, mullioned casement windows, and chimney pots, contribute proper period flavor to a mansion built not for a broker, but a coal baron. Manufacturers Record, in its issue of October 16, 1919, noted that it cost a then-princely sum of $75,000. Nearby, at 910 Newton, the next generation of the Thomas family built a similar house, incorporating brick and half timbering.