East of the General Lewis Inn, Washington Street features a harmonious medley of residential architecture dating from the early nineteenth through the early twentieth centuries. The Wilson House (1834) at number 303 is a well-proportioned brick house with a fanlight over the entrance. Stepped brick ends distinguish the Jacob Smith House (c. 1839) at number 308. The house at number 501 (1834) was the birthplace of Homer A. Holt, a former governor of West Virginia. With the addition of a huge portico and changed fenestration, the building served as the Colonial Inn in the early twentieth century.
East Washington Street climbs eastward to the Dr. Gory Hogg House (1929–1930) at number 514. The brick house, the area's most impressive Georgian Revival mansion, has a five-bay central section with a Palladian window above the entrance, dormers along an expansive gable roof, and short wings on each side. According to a notice in Manufacturers Record (May 2, 1929), Lewis Philippe Smithey of Roanoke was the architect, but Walter Martens has also been credited with the design.