The 1984 form nominating this Colonial Revival house to the National Register of Historic Places calls it “easily the most imposing example of residential architecture in all of Morgan County.” Along with Berkeley Castle, it is easily one of the most solid; it is built of concrete covered with a stucco finish. The rigidly symmetrical facade has a projecting, pedimented entrance pavilion fronted by a onestory semicircular porch. The cornice continues around the gable ends, giving them a pedimented effect. According to a 1914 notice in Manufacturers Record, the architects were from Madison, Wisconsin, but it is not clear if that reference is to the present house.
John Herbert Quick, editor of the journal Farm & Fireside, was the original owner and builder. In his many writings, Quick bemoaned the urbanization of America and the consequent ruination of agricultural lands. His 1,000acre West Virginia estate, on which he planted orchards, built a cannery, and created a lake, proved that he practiced what he preached. The property remains intact, and the house serves as office and residence of the owners of the Coolfont Resort. Newer facilities, mostly Aframe chalets, maintain a respectful distance.