Wequetonsing, East Wequetonsing, and West Wequetonsing

-A A +A

Wequetonsing is bounded by Beach Drive and the shore of Little Traverse Bay from a point just west of 1st Avenue to just east of 5th Avenue, and by MI 119. East Wequetonsing is bounded on the west by Wequetonsing and on the east by Ramona Park. West Wequetonsing is bounded approximately by Zoll Street and by the western boundary of Wequetonsing.

The Wequetonsing Association, formerly the Presbyterian Summer Resort, was established in 1877 on the harbor adjoining the eastern boundary of Harbor Springs. People from Allegan, Michigan, and Elkhart, Indiana, platted the resort on eight acres of land given to them by the citizens of Harbor Springs so that, according to its founders, “worn-out and sweltering humanity could repair to recover health and enjoy rational recreations.” The grounds were cleared, lots sold and leased, and a boardinghouse built. By 1880 the association had a hotel and by 1899 the resort had an assembly hall for religious and social purposes. The most elaborate cottages, many of which have been winterized, face Little Traverse Bay. Smaller cottages stand on terraced lots facing streets that lead up from the harbor. North of MI 119 is the Wequetonsing Golf Club.

After building a cottage for E. H. Pope at Wequetonsing, Charles W. Caskey established a construction business in Harbor Springs in 1880. This Allegan native subsequently built many cottages at Wequetonsing, Harbor Point, Bay View, and on Mackinac Island. Earl H. Mead, who in the late 1890s worked in partnership with Thomas White of Lansing, designed more than twenty cottages at Wequetonsing. Darius Moon (1851–1939), also a Lansing architect, designed houses for Wequetonsing, Roaring Brook, and Bay View.

Writing Credits

Kathryn Bishop Eckert

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.