Lots were laid out for Mount Pleasant in 1797 by Alexander McCready. Sited on a plain west of Chestnut Ridge along an early Indian path, Mount Pleasant became a commercial center for southern Westmoreland County and was incorporated in 1828 as the county's first borough. The commercial district flanks historic Glades Road and has a central square, or diamond. In 1924, a doughboy monument to the soldiers of World War I replaced the troughs and hitching posts at S. Diamond and W. Main streets. The two- to three-story brick commercial district includes several red brick churches along Main Street (PA 31) between Braddock Road Avenue and Hitchman Street. A few early-nineteenth-century buildings, such as the Shupe-Pritts Mill, remain along Main Street, but most of the historic commercial buildings have been modernized. Church and College avenues are composed of late-nineteenth-century houses, including the brick Second Empire Warden House (1886; 200 S. Church Street), now housing the Braddock Trail Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the brick Colonial Revival Mullin-Harmon House (c. 1910; College and Church streets). Frick Hospital is a large, orange brick complex on Eagle Street adjacent to Ramsay High School (now Elementary School) in a Spanish Mission Revival style with a red tile roof. Middle Presbyterian Church (PA 981 at PA 2007) is an eighteenth-century congregation housed in a c. 1854 church. The church, the fifth on the site, has a traditional rectangular plan, gable roof, and two entrance doors opening into a sanctuary with two side aisles. The Italianate brick parsonage south of the church was built in 1876. The nearby cemetery reinforces the relative isolation of the complex.
If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.
SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.