Bobtown is a self-contained mining village, and one of the largest coal patches in Greene County. It was built between 1924 and 1928 by the Shannopin Mining Company ( GR11) on the former Titus and South farms. The Shannopin Mine was one of the last operating mines in the county connected to a company town. Bobtown ultimately had 354 simple, frame, gable-roofed houses of three by two bays in four styles, with running water, flush toilets, and electricity. Most are one story, although two-story versions exist. The inset porches and central chimneys, as, for example, at 6 Crescent Circle, are unique to Bobtown. The houses were built by the Ward and the Fink brothers.
The village is reached by climbing the hillside on a winding road past the empty mine company locker rooms and administration buildings adjacent to Dunkard Creek. Bobtown was built on the plateau at the top of a hill, with streets conforming to the landscape and the houses ranged tightly along them. The former Circle Theater (1925) in Bobtown is a large, blockish red brick structure, much altered over the years. Originally used as a theater, it is now the fire station. The village has one Roman Catholic church, St. Ignatius of Antioch (1974; Larimer Avenue at Bobtown Hill Road) and two Methodist churches; a library reading room (1927; 777 Larimer Avenue) in the former frame school building; jail (1924; Larimer Avenue at Bobtown Hill Road); and several stores. The arrangement of the theater, jail, war memorial, and Catholic church at the intersection of Bobtown Hill Road and Franklin and Larimer avenues creates a central space, almost a town square. Brick corbeling at the cornice line ornaments the rectangular company store at the corner of Main and Franklin avenues, while the former jail is embellished with a pediment, wide cornice, brick corner quoins, and a brick arched door surround. As an ensemble, the village is representative of a pre–World War II way of life that was tied to a single industry.
If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.
SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.