The George C. Thomas Memorial Library is the outgrowth of a church library. Episcopalian missionary Hudson Stuck started a library in a portion of Saint Matthew's Church in 1906. George C. Thomas, a Philadelphia banker, heard of this library and donated $4,000 toward a building for it. The designer is not known, but the log building is in a distinctly bungalow form.
Constructed in 1909, the one-story building is 40 feet square and constructed of 6-inch logs, sawn flat on three sides and nailed at the corners. Punctuated by eyebrow dormers, the hip roof extends on two sides to cover a porch. The large windows had leaded glass. Spiral-fluted galvanized-metal columns supporting the porch roof have recently been replaced.
The Episcopal church sold the library to the city in 1942; the city turned it over to the Fairbanks-North Star Borough in 1968. The library moved to a new building in 1977, and this one now houses a credit union.