Built in 1946, the Healy Hotel takes the form of a 1940s Moderne building, but in place of the usual concrete, the materials here are those of a traditional railroad structure. The wood-framed building is two stories, rectangular in plan, with a flat roof and no cornice. The walls are covered with horizontal and vertical beveled siding, alternating in bands, in an almost Stick-style application. The center section of the building, containing the lobby and main stairway, projects, and there is a one-story restaurant projecting from the rear. A corridor runs longitudinally, with rooms on the front and back.
The hotel was originally located next to the railroad tracks in Healy and housed railroad employees based there as well as train crews passing through. In June 1986, the hotel was moved about a mile to its present site. The only alterations to the exterior were vestibules at the end of each building, but on the interior, thirty-two bathrooms were added.