Built as housing for noncommissioned officers at Fort Egbert, the customs house was moved down to Front Street in 1915 when it was acquired by the customs service. In 1989, it was moved back from Front Street about 15 feet, and up out of the reach of the river.
The front gambrel roof that extends to cover a small entrance porch at an inset corner is a distinguishing characteristic of this one-and-a-half-story, wood-framed building.
A similar building still stands on the grounds of Fort Egbert ( IN045.1). Slight differences include the column at the corner (turned wood at the fort, paneled box column here) and the patterning of the shingles in the gable. Here the shingles are in a diamond pattern; the rest of the building is covered with novelty siding. At the time of the first move, a one-story, hip-roofed wing on the side was moved to the rear; a ghost remains on the dormer. The building functions as a museum, with different themes of Eagle's history conveyed in different rooms.