The newly named Episcopal bishop of Alaska, Peter Trimble Rowe, had this church built in 1899. Rowe took ideas for its designs back east, where Philadelphian George C. Thomas, treasurer of the Board of Missions of the Episcopal Church, hired architect H. L. Duhring, Jr., also of Philadelphia. John W. Dudley supervised construction, which was completed by Thanksgiving 1899.
One of the few stone buildings in Alaska, Saint Peter's Church has the heavy timbering, random rubble stone, and wood shingling characteristic of small ecclesiological churches
On the interior, the ceiling is supported by exposed wooden scissor trusses. The dark wood diagonal boards of the ceiling contrast with the white walls. Stained-glass windows and the original wooden pews create a subdued atmosphere. The reredos, added in 1932, was designed by Lester Troast, an architect who taught at the Sheldon Jackson School before setting up his architectural practice in Juneau.