John Kirkbride Potts and his wife, Pamela, came to Arkansas from Pennsylvania in 1828 and homesteaded 160 acres acquired from the federal government following its 1828 treaty with the Cherokee. Potts built a log house on the site. After making money supplying fortyniners with beef, Potts finished a splendid new two-story house for his growing family. For many years the house also served as an important stop on the Butterfield stagecoach route. The house has a two-story pedimented Greek Revival portico with four tapered box columns. The central entrance door with sidelights and a transom opens to a 12-foot-wide hall, which is flanked on both floors by 20 × 20–foot rooms, each capable of accommodating up to six double beds, enough for family and stagecoach passengers. When Potts became postmaster, the wide hall became the Galla Creek Post Office.
After the 1970 sale of the Potts block to the Historical Foundation, the house became a museum illustrating the history of the Potts family and the house’s role as a stagecoach stop. The Potts block has also become a museum of architecture. Five log structures are on the Birch Street side of the site, and there is also a gazebo.