The Western Federation of Miners, a powerful presence in Telluride during the labor strikes of 1901–1904, built this hospital, heralded as “the best designed and most thoroughly equipped hospital in southern Colorado.” Of the union labor employed in construction, the WFM boasted: “Every stroke of work on the building was done by union men, and the highest wages were paid.”
The boxy, three-story edifice has a basement and trim of local Deep Creek sandstone, brick quoins, and hipped dormers in a hipped roof. Above the basement union hall, the hospital stories were constructed of pressed brick from Durango. After the union was chased out of town in 1904, the hospital closed, then reopened as a post office, offices, and an Odd Fellows hall. In 1973 it was rehabilitated as apartments with a laundromat in the old union hall.