This one-story house of plastered brick was built for Jean Baptiste Thierry, editor of the newspaper Le Courrier de la Louisiane. According to restoration architect Samuel Wilson Jr., Latour (c. 1770–1839) was responsible for the rear with its loggia and cabinets, and Latrobe (1792–1817) designed the Doric portico with segmental arches at the front. Wilson regarded the portico as the oldest residential use of Greek Revival in New Orleans. The facade’s severity and planar undecorated surfaces are reminiscent of the contemporary work of John Soane in England. The house is set back rather than flush with the sidewalk, as are most Vieux Carré buildings. Latour and J.-H. Laclotte (see OR12) formed an architecture and engineering firm c. 1810 and operated a school for drawing, architecture, carpentry, interior design, and decoration.
Opposite at 716–724 Governor Nicholls, three brick buildings arranged around a central open court were built c. 1834 by Paul Preval as public stables, a carriage house, and a warehouse. Later converted to apartments, the buildings were renovated in 2015 by Harry Baker Smith Architects.