Thomas Handasyd Perkins, who with his brother James directed the most successful China Trade fleet in Boston, built the house at 37 Temple Place after giving his earlier mansion on Pearl Street to the asylum for the blind. In 1854, the Provident Institution for Savings acquired the Greek Revival brick residence as their office. Founded in 1816 at the urging of Bishop John Cheverus, the Provident initially served the growing Roman Catholic community in Boston. In 1933, the Provident extended the building by incorporating adjacent properties. Their most recent addition on Winter Street is a conventional high-rise building, its lower stories on the same level as surrounding structures and evident of contextualism. Clear vertical beams extend above the banking room to the summit of the facade and divide bays composed of a tripartite fenestration.
Located on the narrow alley connecting the disparate elements of the Provident complex, Locke-Ober (3 Winter Place, NR) represents the 1892 merger of Frank Locke's Wine Rooms and Ober's Restaurant, a symbol of Old Boston both architecturally and culinarily.