Beginning in 1899, Larz and Isabel Anderson enlarged a property begun by William F. Weld II in 1881 into one of the major country estates in the Boston area. The mansion (originally
Among the surviving landscape features, Little and Browne designed the lagoon and temple (1910) when they were remodeling the Anderson mansion. Charles A. Platt added an influential Italian garden in 1901–1902, largely destroyed for an ice skating rink by the Town of Brookline in 1955. A parking lot on top of the hill marks the site of the mansion. Fox and Gale planned much of the minor landscape work, including the poured concrete walls, and the gardener's house at 29 Avon Street.