Captain William Green erected the gambrel roof section of this house around 1750 elsewhere in Wakefield. Built around 1680, the shed roof wing is believed to have been built in Lynnfield and moved here to be incorporated into Captain Green's new house. Captain Green's son, Caleb, subsequently moved both sections to the present site around 1790. Caleb's farm consisted of forty acres on both sides of Vernon Street.
The plain clapboards were replaced in the twentieth century, and the sash had already been changed in the nineteenth century. The proportions of the gambrel roof house and the asymmetrical fenestration with small window openings and a narrow doorway have the appearance of a vernacular eighteenth-century house. The interior contains much of the original framing, including summer beams, chimney girt, and corner posts. Chamfers with lambs tongue stops decorate framing members. The main section of the house also has boxed beams and paneling characteristic of the eighteenth century.