The City of Port Huron sold its existing space in a thirty-year-old building it occupied jointly with the county and commissioned local architect Cogley (1928–1990) to design this monumental office center on a large site on the reclaimed riverbed. Known locally as the “Taj Mahal,” it is Brutalist in style and reminiscent of the Boston City Hall of 1962–1969 by Kallmann, McKinnell and Knowles.
The center consists of a cube-shaped administration building and a low circular structure containing a public meeting room connected by an entrance lobby. Smooth, hammer-finished, white Georgia marble and reflective glass sheath the cast-concrete structure of the building and the lobby, and broken-faced, textured white marble masonry units and the same glass serve as the skin of the building that contains the public meeting room. An entrance plaza with a fountain is positioned at the terminus of McMorran Boulevard, before the main building. Beneath the north and west portions of the plaza is a parking garage.