You are here

Renaissance Hall, North Dakota State University (Robb-Lawrence Warehouse, Northern School Supply Building)

-A A +A
Robb-Lawrence Warehouse, Northern School Supply Building
1903, William C. Albrant; 2006 renovation, Michael J. Burns Associates. 650 NP Ave. N

Constructed as an agricultural warehouse, this building served for most of the twentieth century as home for Northern School Supply, a regional distributor of textbooks, school furniture, and supplies. It is one of several prominent buildings constructed during the brief career of architect William C. Albrant (1871–1905), a native of Winchester, Ontario, who completed his academic training in Mechanic Arts at the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) in 1899, and designed a Carnegie library (CS41.2) at NDSU in Fargo and a library in Mayville (TR3). Albrant’s approach to structure seems to have been largely intuitive, but the exteriors of his buildings reflect a more practiced design sense, as is apparent in the Romanesque Revival sandstone entrance motifs and stamped-metal fan-shaped arches atop the third-floor windows at Robb-Lawrence. In 1904 Albrant married the sister of Fargo architect William D. Gillespie, but Albrant’s sudden death from typhoid pneumonia at the age of thirty-three occurred less than a year after his marriage and after only three years of practice, cutting short a promising career. Gillespie later withdrew from the practice of architecture for a more lucrative specialty, establishing Gate City Savings and Loan, a regional mortgage lender.

This building was vacant for most of the 1990s and was understood to be within hours of demolition when it was purchased by software developer Doug Burgum and gifted to NDSU as a home for the visual arts, architecture, and landscape architecture. The building’s conversion celebrates a range of historic details in the interior. The building is LEED certified for energy efficiency and its rehabilitation was realized using Renaissance Zone incentives (targeted redevelopment funds backed by the state Industrial Development bonding authority). This project and subsequent investments of NDSU in its downtown campus have contributed to revitalization of the historic downtown district.

Writing Credits

Author: 
Steve C. Martens and Ronald H. L. M. Ramsay
×

Data

What's Nearby

Citation

Steve C. Martens and Ronald H. L. M. Ramsay, "Renaissance Hall, North Dakota State University (Robb-Lawrence Warehouse, Northern School Supply Building)", [Fargo, North Dakota], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—, http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/ND-01-CS4.

Print Source

Cover: Buildings of North Dakota

Buildings of North Dakota, Steve C. Martens and Ronald H. L. M. Ramsay. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2015, 31-31.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.

, ,