This is a classic Carnegie branch library, essentially one large room with a fireplace nook to the right of the entrance in the children's library and an adult reading room to the left. The librarian's office is located in the center at the head of the entrance stair.
A local couple, William and Lucy Hart, applied to the Andrew Carnegie Foundation in 1914 for a $20,000 grant to build the library. The land was donated by the Midland Improvement Company, the real estate arm of Crucible Steel, which between 1906 and 1936 owned nearly all the homes in Midland. Set one block north of the commercial street in town, the library is a transitional site from the commercial to the residential portions of Midland. When the school board agreed to manage the library and the borough to