Westmont borough, immediately southwest of downtown Johnstown, was conceived as a pastoral suburb separated by the 1,694-foot-high Yoder Hill from the noise, stench, and mud of the ironworks. The Cambria Iron Company owned much of the land surrounding
Unofficially, the borough was divided into two neighborhoods: the southern more affluent section, the “Dinner Side,” and the northern blue-collar section with company-owned housing called the “Supper Side.” The Dinner Side is best represented by the Shingle Style house of Cambria Iron Company general manager Charles S. Price (1892; 510 Edgehill Drive). The Supper Side houses are dispersed throughout the area and date from three periods: first, the gable-roofed single and double frame houses for laborers and millworkers on Wyoming and Lehigh streets built c. 1891; second, the pyramid-roofed, single-family frame houses on Tioga Street built c. 1901 for middle management employees; and third, the middle management homes on Colgate Avenue and Tioga Street built between 1909 and 1911. Two frame Queen Anne houses at 140 and 146 Colgate Avenue, both dating to 1911, were built by the Cambria Iron Company, using kits from Sears and Roebuck. Most of the houses were modest but well constructed, and the Cambria Iron Company was known for excellent maintenance of its rental properties.