This finely crafted stone church was designed by Henry Martyn Congdon (1834–1922), a New York City architect known for his ecclesiastical works. He used as models the Dent family chapel at St. Lawrence's church in the village of Crosby Ravensworth, England, and St. James the Less in Philadelphia, both fine examples of ecclesiological architecture. To include all of the stylistic elements essential to the pure Gothic Revival style in the smallest amount of space, Congdon compacted the design so that the bell-cote at the northwest corner carries a chimney, a buttress, and the entrance.
Henry Hatch Dent was a lawyer, a former U.S. attorney, and a southern aristocrat whose wife inherited thousands of Potter County acres. Upon her early death, Dent moved to Coudersport to run the family businesses. The church, commissioned by the Dents' four children, commemorates their relatives from Pennsylvania and Maryland, who are pictured in stained glass designed by the London firm of Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The interior of the church has a white marble altar and baptismal font, butternut pews of golden hue, and maroon and white diagonal marble tiles.