You are here

Main Street

-A A +A
c. 1868–c. 1950. Main St. between Jefferson St. and Lightstreet Rd.
  • Stroup Fountain (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • Civil War Monument (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • Peacock and Moyer Bldg (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • Morning Press Bldg (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • Caldwell Consistory (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • Caldwell Consistory (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • St. Paul's Episcopal Church (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • St. Paul's Episcopal Church Annex (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • Public Library (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)
  • Pursell Bldg, c.1893, NE corner of Market Square (Photo by William E. Fischer, Jr.)

Main Street is a vibrant commercial district of densely packed buildings. The centerpiece at Market Square is Stroup Fountain (1892), a circular cast-iron fountain from J. L. Mott Co., in New York City, dedicated to a local candy merchant who donated funds to the waterworks. It shares the heart of town with a sixty-foot-tall granite Civil War monument (1908, L. Kurtz and Son). Around the square, the Peacock and Moyer building (1894, Jacoby and Weishampel; 102 W. Main Street) and the Morning Press building (1908, Verus T. Ritter; 111 W. Main Street) have cast-iron fronts. At 149–150 W. Market Street, Caldwell Consistory (1906) is a Freemasons Lodge designed by Williamsport architect Truman P. Reitmeyer in the Tudor Revival style. Ritter reprised his Society of the Colonial Dames of America headquarters design in Philadelphia for the Georgian Revival wing of the Public Library (1925) on the southeast corner of the square where the restored cast-iron fountain Man, Dog and Beast (1892) was placed in 1991. The Art Deco Mellon Bank (former Farmers National Bank, 1941) at 37 W. Main Street is complemented by two buildings: First Federal Savings and Loan (c. 1950) at 17 E. Main Street, a sleek Moderne design in polished red granite trimmed with aluminum, and the Art Deco–crowned Alvina Krause Theatre (1940; 226 Center Street), housed in the former Columbia Theater. St. Paul's Episcopal Church, a Victorian Gothic building erected in 1868 at E. Main and Iron streets, is the oldest church in Bloomsburg; Richard Upjohn may have been the architect. The bell tower and rectory next door were constructed in 1891–1892 to Amos S. Wagner's design. One block east, at E. Main and Light streets, stands the town hall (1890, E. E. Ritter), built at the same time as the courthouse and echoing its Romanesque style.

Writing Credits

George E. Thomas


What's Nearby


George E. Thomas, "Main Street", [Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—,

Print Source

Cover: Buildings of PA vol 2

Buildings of Pennsylvania: Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, George E. Thomas, with Patricia Likos Ricci, Richard J. Webster, Lawrence M. Newman, Robert Janosov, and Bruce Thomas. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2012, 498-498.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.