You are here

James V. Brown Library

-A A +A
1905–1907, Edgar V. Seeler; 1937–1939, David A. Howe Reference Hall, F. Arthur Rianhard. 19 E. 4th St.
  • First Baptist Church

James V. Brown, a native of Hartford, New York, moved to Williamsport in 1859. After running a flour mill for seven years (previously owned by Peter Herdic), he entered the lumber business. He soon was engaged in other enterprises, including a water company, newspapers, and banking. Brown's will stipulated that his estate be used to build a public library, the city's first. Seeler's design for this marble-clad French Renaissance building was in the architectural mainstream. Of sixty-seven libraries illustrated in the January 1902 Architectural Review, for example, all but five were classically detailed. Like many of the published examples, Seeler's library also had a leaded glass dome (by Heinigke and Bowen) for the front circulation area. The three-bay front was also standard, but its embellishments reflect the architect's and the board's desire to erect an imposing building with local significance. These include the monolithic Ionic columns, the commonwealth's coat of arms on the parapet, and John J. Boyle's bust of James V. Brown in the tympanum of the entrance. In his first meeting with the board, Seeler asked if open or closed stacks were preferred; the progressive open-stack plan, with its greater public access, was chosen. A concern for rational planning was characteristic of Seeler, a Philadelphian who graduated from MIT in 1890 and spent three years at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris before setting up his Philadelphia practice in 1893. Seeler's commission marks a shift from favoring local architects for major projects to employing out-of-towners, as was also seen with the rugged brownstone First Baptist Church (1913–1914; 380 W. 4th Street) by the New York City partnership Dennison and Hirons. The library's one-story rear brick addition, the David A. Howe Reference Hall, was built in 1937–1939 with funds from the estate of David Howe (James V. Brown's nephew) and the Works Progress Administration. It was raised one story in 1992.

Writing Credits

Author: 
George E. Thomas
×

Data

What's Nearby

Citation

George E. Thomas, "James V. Brown Library", [Williamsport, Pennsylvania], SAH Archipedia, eds. Gabrielle Esperdy and Karen Kingsley, Charlottesville: UVaP, 2012—, http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/PA-02-LY12.

Print Source

Cover: Buildings of PA vol 2

Buildings of Pennsylvania: Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, George E. Thomas, with Patricia Likos Ricci, Richard J. Webster, Lawrence M. Newman, Robert Janosov, and Bruce Thomas. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2012, 573-573.

If SAH Archipedia has been useful to you, please consider supporting it.

SAH Archipedia tells the story of the United States through its buildings, landscapes, and cities. This freely available resource empowers the public with authoritative knowledge that deepens their understanding and appreciation of the built environment. But the Society of Architectural Historians, which created SAH Archipedia with University of Virginia Press, needs your support to maintain the high-caliber research, writing, photography, cartography, editing, design, and programming that make SAH Archipedia a trusted online resource available to all who value the history of place, heritage tourism, and learning.

, ,