How appropriate that the shingled mill for grinding corn still survives between the fields of two Watson farms surviving from the late eighteenth century, those of Thomas Watson and Borden Watson (see entries below). This, the third windmill to be built on Jamestown, survives as the only colonial windmill in the state. Together with two others in Rhode Island, both from the early nineteenth century (one in Middletown and one in Portsmouth), it is a reminder that wind power, especially for grinding grain, commonly substituted for waterpower into the early nineteenth century on the bay
After it went out of use in 1896, the windmill decayed rapidly. A group of concerned citizens, which undertook restoration in 1904, turned it over to the Jamestown Historical Society in 1912. It has been repaired several times, but especially after the 1954 hurricane, when, among other work, new white oak timbers had to be installed to strengthen the tower, and the arms were completely replaced.