On the east side of Goose Creek is Lee High School by Payne, a Houston architect who specialized in the design of state-of-the-art public school buildings in the 1920s and 1930s. Payne produced a rational design for Lee that was a prototype for subsequent commissions all along the Texas Gulf Coast ( BE26, CC30). The muted Spanish-style terra-cotta ornament that frames the building's central bay is its distinguishing feature. It gives the school a strong civic presence, despite its isolated location.
East of the high school, but still on rolling terrain near Goose Creek, is Lee College. Its original building, Walter Rundell Hall of 1951 by Houston architect Herbert S. Voelcker and Associates at 200 Lee Drive, is a late modernistic institutional building faced with orange brick and trimmed with limestone. Adjoining Rundell Hall is the college's Advanced Technology Center and Library of 2003 by Kirksey of Houston and Busch and Hutchinson of Baytown.