Austin's finest collection of nineteenth-century houses is the Bremond Block just west of downtown, noted for its assortment of houses that represent a variety of period details. The Bremond family, prominent in late-nineteenth-century Austin social, merchandising, and banking circles, built six of the houses. The earliest two are the Eugene Bremond House (1872; 404 W. 7th Street) and the Walter Bremond House (1872, 1887; 711 San Antonio Street), which was originally a one-story limestone building that received an addition, a two-story porch, and a Second Empire crested mansard roof. The John Bremond Jr. House (1886) by builder George Fiegel at 700 Guadalupe Street and the Pierre Bremond House (1898) at 402 W. 7th Street are later additions noted for their extraordinary iron porch details.
Other early houses located on the block include the Hale Houston House (1850, 1863; 706 Guadalupe Street) and the Alfred Robinson House (c. 1857; 705 San Antonio Street).