Just south of the capitol ( AU1) and a few blocks from Congress Avenue is a small collection of important buildings. The Millet Opera House was the city's Victorian-era entertainment center. A two-story gallery replaced the original second-story bracket-supported balcony. The rough-cut stone contrasts with the finely detailed pilasters, capitals, and cornices. The interiors were considerably altered with each change in ownership. The Austin Club has owned and used the building since 1981.
At 203 E. 10th Street is Nicholas J. Clayton's St. Mary's Cathedral of 1874–1884 (1979 restoration, Bell, Klein and Hoffman) , the first independent work by Clayton, one of the state's best Victorian architects. Replacing a much earlier church, the First Baptist Church of Austin (1969, Barnes Landes Goodman Youngblood with PageSoutherlandPage) , at 901 Trinity Street, anchors the eastern edge of the south capitol area.