This eleven-story office building is symmetrically composed about an arched entrance portal centered on its long Crockett Street elevation. However, the mechanical penthouse rises asymmetrically on the building's shorter east side. The building's stylistic detail is Tudor Gothic, although spandrel panels of unglazed green terra-cotta are more visually assertive than the historical decoration. The building was designed by Nashville architects Tisdale, Stone and Pinson. In 1929, partner Fred C. Stone (see BM1) began independent practice in Beaumont. He also served two terms as mayor of Beaumont (1944–1948).
At 285 Liberty Avenue is the nineteen-story former Edson Hotel (1928) by F. W. Steinman and Son with Hedrick and Gottlieb, the tallest skyscraper between Houston and New Orleans when completed. It too features an off-center two-story penthouse. In the 1950s Gulf States Utilities Company (now Entergy) converted the Edson into an office building. The buff brick shaft of the Edson engages the bowed white front of Gulf States's subsequent headquarters building, the seventeen-story One Edison Plaza at 350 Pine Street (1980, Morris Aubry Architects with George Ingram Associates). Just east of the Goodhue Building, in the 200 block of Crockett Street, is the Beaumont Crockett Street entertainment district, which entailed the rehabilitation in 2002 of a row of late-nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century commercial buildings by preservationists Tom Flanagan, Joe Penland, and Walter Umphrey with the participation of the City of Beaumont.