Situated in the northwest quadrant adjacent to the high school, this prime residential district displays the first houses and civic institutions of the city's emerging professional class.
Among the institutions are the Spanish Mediterranean, former Robert J. Kleberg Library (1927) at 329 W. Yoakum Avenue by Bertram E. Giesecke and A.W. Harris, and the Flato Elementary School (1924) at W. Sta. Gertrudis Avenue and N. 3rd Street designed by Ralph H. Cameron, also Spanish Mediterranean.
Hipped-roof, cross-gabled residences for J. S. House (c. 1912) at 502 W. Henrietta Avenue and at number 630 for Marion Chandler (1915) are two examples of the four hundred and fifty kit houses sold in Kingsville between 1908 and 1940 by Sears, Roebuck and Company. Two substantial, nearly identical, pyramidal-roofed residences (c. 1915) at 405 and 421 N. 2nd Street are examples of rock-faced cement-block cottages also sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company.