This two-story, double-gallery, five-bay, central-hall-plan house was built by Henry Ilse, a farmer, rancher, and saloon owner whose family lived in the house until 1954. The Rau family purchased the house in 1965 and it is known locally as “Raumonda.”
The Abram Alley Log Cabin at 1200 Bowie Street was built in 1836 by one of Stephen F. Austin's colonists, Abram Alley, who came from Missouri to Texas in the 1820s. He went to aid fellow settlers fleeing Santa Anna in the “Runaway Scrape,” and upon his return built this small house where he and his wife, Nancy Millar, reared two daughters and two sons. The house is interpreted with period furnishings and is open year-round.